Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Updating the "WP to Twitter" WordPress Plugin to Fix "Code 410" Errors

I found myself in the position of needing to update our "WordPress to Twitter" plugin (http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-to-twitter/) from version 2.6.7 to 2.7.3, due to getting a constant "Code 410" error whenever we tried to do a post - apparently an issue with Twitter's 1.1 API update. Here's how I did it:

  1. Deactivated the old wp-to-twitter plugin, using the WordPress "Plugins" admin-console.
  2. Using a Linux terminal with direct server access, I scp'd the new version's ZIP file over and unzipped it into my /wp-content/plugins directory.
    • When prompted to overwrite files, I chose "A" for all.
  3. Went back to my plugins admin-console, refreshed the page and reactivated the plugin.
All settings (including my Twitter API keys/tokens/secrets, bit.ly, etc.) were miraculously still there, and the new version appears to be up and running. Quite a nice surprise, when it comes to managing WordPress!

No comments:

Post a Comment